Günther Weiß, spiritus rector of Haus Marteau, was instrumental in the acquisition of the artist’s villa by the Bezirk Oberfranken.
In close cooperation with the then District President Wolfgang Winkler and with great support from the Oberfrankenstiftung (Upper Franconia Foundation), it was possible to preserve Haus Marteau for music educational work. During the development of the utilization concept, Weiß stood behind the idea of the International Music Centre with full conviction – despite all the doubts that were expressed at the beginning, especially due to the isolated location of the house. Thanks to his commitment and farsightedness, Haus Marteau gained international reputation and attracted renowned lecturers such as Brigitte Fassbaender, Detlef Kraus, Edda Moser, Walter Nothas, Igor Ozim, Ulf Rodenhäuser, Peter Sadlo and Hariolf Schlichtig.
Günther Weiß was born in Coburg in 1933 and studied music and musicology in Munich, Erlangen and Chicago. After building up the music department of the then College of Education in Bayreuth in the 1960s, he taught as a professor in Freiburg and Munich, where he was vice president from 1978 to 1986. As a conductor, he led, among others, the Philharmonic Orchestra Isartal for many years.
For a quarter of a century, from 1982 until his death in 2007, he left his mark on the music venue and made it a permanent fixture in the music world. His extensively researched biography “The Great Violinist Henri Marteau” as well as the series of publications “Mitteilungen des Hauses Marteau”, which he initiated, established the scientific reappraisal of Marteau’s life and work.
As the founder and long-time director of the Jugendsymphonieorchester Oberfranken (Upper Franconia Youth Symphony Orchestra), he also enriched the cultural life of the region and launched many a musical career. In 1992, he received the cultural award of the Oberfrankenstiftung (Upper Franconia Foundation) for his multifaceted commitment.